Freeborn County Courthouse, 411 South Broadway, Albert Lea, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Freeborn County Courthouse

County Courthouse, 1940
Address: 411 Broadway S
City/locality-
State/province
Albert Lea, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Freeborn County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1888
Primary Style: Richardsonian Romanesque
Major Alterations: Altered
Historic Function: Courthouse
Current Function: Courthouse
Architect or source of design: C.A. Dunham
Builder: Alexander McNeill
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Foundation: Limestone

Albert Lea Freeborn County

Freeborn County Courthouse, 411 South Broadway, Albert Lea, Minnesota
(43.667394° N, 93.577249° WLatitude: 43°40′2.618″N
Longitude: 93°34′38.096″W
)


The original building, 1966, started crumbling withing 22 years and a new courthouse was in need. It was built on the same spot in 1888 of local materials. A modern addition at the time was an electrical water pump which supplied water to some of the rooms.

Contents

History

A second addition was designed by Foss, Englestad and Foss of Fargo and built in 1975 by Adolphson & Peterson, Inc. of Minneapolis. The utilitarian three-story addition cost $2 million. In 1979, the exterior of the courthouse was renovated.

In 1953, five chimneys and four steeples were eliminated. In 1955, local architect Bernard Hein and contractor John F. Hanson built a $358,260 addition. The bell tower and its 1,600 pound bell were also removed from the main courthouse. The bell was sold to the Grace Lutheran Church congregation for $100.

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]