Forepaugh-Hammond House, 276 South Exchange Street, Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
Forepaugh-Hammond House/Forepaugh's Restaurant
|Address:||276 Exchange Street S|
|Neighborhood/s:||Irvine Park, Saint Paul, Minnesota, Uppertown, Saint Paul, Minnesota, West 7th, Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Ramsey County, Minnesota|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Wood|
Originally the home of Joseph and Mary Lanpher Forepaugh. Joseph ran a dry goods business which supplied military troops during the Civil War leaving him wealthy enough to retire from the business at the age of 34. In 1889, he built a brick mansion at 302 Summit Avenue and moved out of the Exchange Street home.
General John Hammond, who had been General Sherman's chief of staff during the Civil War, bought the home in 1886 and died there in 1890.The house was divided into numerous apartments and by 1972 was considered to be beyond saving when it was purchased by "Restaurants No Limits" in 1976, and gutted and refurbished into the restaurant "Forepaugh's."