First United Methodist Church, 401 West Main Street, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
First United Methodist Church
|Address:||401 Main Street W|
|Madison County, Kentucky|
Established in 1833, the First United Methodist Church congregation was first located at the corner of Irvine and Second Streets (MAR-52). The congregation moved to this location after the completion of the present edifice in 1927.
The Classical Revival style was selected for this brick church building when plans for a stone building proved to be too large for the lot. H. A. Churchill and John T. Gillig of Lexington were the architects, with L. W. Hardin of Richmond as the general contractor. R. K. Stone, a member of the congregation provided the brick, concrete, and stonework. The total cost was slightly over $102, 000.A pedimented portico with four concrete Corinthian-capitaled columns extends the full height of the front facade. Beneath the portico are three fanlighted double-leaf doors, the central door being emphasized by a scroll pediment, entablature, and plain pilasters. Stained glass windows from Louisville embellish the sides of this church.