Editing 783 6th Street East, Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
Editing 783 6th Street East, Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Address:||783 6th Street E|
|Neighborhood/s:||Dayton's Bluff, St. Paul, Minnesota, Keller Row, St. Paul, Minnesota|
|St. Paul, Minnesota|
|Ramsey County, Minnesota|
|Primary Style:||Queen Anne|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||4 plex|
|Other Current Function:||4 plex|
|Architect or source of design:||Edwin S. Radcliffe|
|Builder:||E. Sephton and Company at 582 Jackson street in St. Paul|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Wood|
|Material of Roof:||Asphalt|
|Material of Foundation:||Limestone|
|First Owner:||Annice E Keller|
This house is part of 8 houses known as Keller Row.
Keller row house #1 at 783 East Sixth Street, was commissioned by the widow of the wealthy lumber baron John M. Keller. Called the “Head of the single most outstanding … property development in the district…” by the St. Paul heritage preservation commission. John M. Keller b. 22 June 1833 d. 29 Jan 1879 owned a large section of land, an entire city block between east 7th and 6th and bound by Hope Street, originally named Hill street, and Eichenwald. The Keller mansion was built at 394 Eichenwald in 1874 and demolished after a series of fires in the 1920s or 30s. A modern apartment building was placed there in 1959. Keller was a German immigrant who named his home and the street in front of his home “Eichenwald”, a German word meaning “Oak Forest”, as a reminder of his home in Germany. Eichenwald street was platted in 1877. Keller himself was a master carpenter and owned his own lumber business. The lumber company was entitled “Keller C.E. & CO”, Charles and Annice E. Keller as owners and was located in the NW corner of 7th and Minnesota streets in the city directory. John M. was married to Annice E. <Scott> Keller and they had a number of children including; Annice Bourey KELLER b: 31 OCT 1878 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Charles Edward KELLER b: 21 SEP 1858 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Louis Scott KELLER b: 6 OCT 1860, George William KELLER b: 2 FEB 1863, Mary Edith KELLER b: 17 AUG 1866, Sadee Alice KELLER b: 10 JUN 1869, John Michael KELLER b: 10 AUG 1871 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Joseph Anderson KELLER b: 13 DEC 1873 in St. Paul, Minnesota, Herbert Paist KELLER b: 7 FEB 1875. Listed “At home” in 1880; Annice, Charles E., George W. Keller bookkeeper and by 1884 listed a Louis S. Keller as the foreman. . 
In 1889 Annice E. Keller had the eight homes, now known as Keller row, built on the East 6th street side of their property. The reason why is unknown, but speculating that it was an investment might not be that far off as there was a housing boom of large middle class homes being built in the area. Another possibility is that she built the eight houses for her eight children. The architect chosen to design the homes was Edwin S. Radcliffe who is listed as having his office at the Mannheimer Building in St. Paul. Not much is known about Radcliffe. He was the son of one of the great builders of St. Paul Abraham Radcliffe who designed a number of notable buildings still standing. This was one of Radcliffe's last commission in the city before he moved to Duluth to practice there. One of his prominent houses in Duluth is entitled the Marcus and Sarah Fay house commissioned in 1902 at 2105 East Superior Street. The builders of the row homes is listed as a E. Sephton and Company at 582 Jackson street in St. Paul. The original building permit was filed on May 31st 1889. One permit was submitted for the 8 detached dwellings at a cost of $5000.00 to build each. The memoranda on the permit reads “Commenced work on the foundations May 31st on the frames 10th June & finished all the dwellings about September 26th.” The foundations were built of Limestone blocks, earth and concrete. The rest of the dwelling is built of wood. It is also said that Annice Keller herself resided briefly at the address when it was first completed.
One of John's and Annice's children, Herbert P. Keller (B. February 7th 1861) was the first mayor of St. Paul to be born in the city. He is listed as living with his brother Charles E. Keller at 771 6th street in 1910, became mayor of St. Paul from 1910 to 1914. Keller Lake and Golf course are named for him.
Annice’s Obituary reads “DIED: KELLER - At the family residence, Eichenwald Street, in the 56th year of her age, Mrs. Annice E., relict of the late John M. Keller. Funeral services at the resident at 2 o'clock, Saturday, Jan. 26. (Undated) Born 11/20/1835 d. 1/23/1895 married to John on 26th of July 1857.
SHE WAS A PIONEER Mrs. Annice E. Keller, one of the old residents, is dead. The ranks of St. Paul's old settlers suffered another loss yesterday by the death of Mrs. Annice E. Keller, which occurred at 6 a.m. at her residence on Eichenwald street, after a protracted illness of several months. Mrs. Keller was fifty-five years of age, and has made St. Paul her home since 1856. She was the widow of the late John M. Keller, who at the time of his death was a prominent business man of this city. Mrs. Keller leaves eight children, five sons and three daughters. Her death will be mourned by a wide circle of loving friends. The funeral, which will be private, will occur at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon.”