Eddy Hall, 192 Pillsbury Drive Southeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
|Address:||192 Pillsbury Drive SE|
|Neighborhood/s:||University, Minneapolis, Minnesota|
|Hennepin County, Minnesota|
|Primary Style:||Queen Anne|
|Additions:|| 1903 addition on south side of building
1966 addition of the annex on west side of the building
|Architect or source of design:||Leroy Buffington|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Brick|
|Material of Roof:||Shingle|
|Material of Foundation:||Brick|
|First Owner:||University of Minnesota|
|Part of the Site:||University of Minnesota Old Campus Historic District|
|Notes:||Eddy Hall is listed on the National Register of Historic Places under the University of Minnesota Old Campus Historic District|
|National Register of Historic Places Information|
|Level of significance:||State|
|Primary Style:||Queen Anne|
|Secondary Style:||Stick Style|
|Year/s of Additions:||1903, 1966|
Eddy Hall was constructed in 1886 as the Mechanic Arts Building for the University of Minnesota. Today, the building is the oldest existing building on the campus. The architect for Eddy Hall was Leroy Buffington who designed the building in a variation of the Queen Anne style. The building name was changed from the Mechanic Arts Building to honor Henry Turner Eddy. He had been a professor of engineering and mathematics and the Dean of the Graduate School for the university.
HISTORY/ADDITIONS Over the years, Eddy Hall has had two documented additions. In 1903 and addition was placed on the south side of the building that matched the rest of the structure in material and style. However, the facade does lack the more intricate detailing found elsewhere on the building. This addition is documented as housing a two offices, a reading space, a seminar space, and other non-identified spaces in 1938. In 1966 the Annex was added on the building's west side. This addition consists of a one story metal structure on a concrete base that does not match the rest of the structure in material or style. According to floor plans, this addition appears to house mainly class room spaces. Today, most of the spaces have been broken down into much smaller rooms to be used as offices. While the building originally housed the mathematics, drawing, civil-municipal-structural engineering departments, as well as testing laboratories; it is now home to the Veterans Transition Center, UCCS Test Center, Student Academic Success Services, Career Development Program, Counseling & Consulting Servers (Mpls), Student Conflict Resolution Center, and the Test Prep Resource Center.
FEATURES Some of the prominent characteristic features of the building include: a rectangular tower at the northwest corner with iron cresting and weather vane, red brick with red sandstone details, areas of patterned brick, pilasters above the main entrance, a slightly cantilevered gable on the north facade, and a multiple gabled roof.
HENRY TURNER EDDY The namesake of Eddy Hall, Henry Turner Eddy, played an important role at the University of Minnesota. When he first came to the university after the year 1894 he was already a very distinguished individual with multiple degrees in mathematics and engineering. He was given the position of Professor of Engineering and Mechanics and by 1906 was made Dean of the Graduate School. Finally in 1907 he was also put in charge of the Department of Mathematics and Mechanics in the College of Engineering.
QUESTION OF STYLE Eddy Hall has been listed as having been built in the Queen Anne style by multiple sources. However, it is more accurate to say that the building is a combination of styles derived from and including the Queen Anne Style. Elements of Stick and Shingle Style are evident on the exterior. Queen Anne Style can be described as "loosely using a wide range of picturesque buildings with 'free Renaissance' details rather than of a specific formulaic style in its own right." Generally, distinctive features such as cantilevered gables, asymmetrical facades, and a tower (round, square, or polygonal)placed towards the building's corner are part of the style. The Stick Style was a more simplified version of the Queen Anne Style that eliminated overzealous details such as gingerbread trim and rounded towers, but kept key features such as interpenetrating roof planes and a corner tower. Shingle Style also simplified the Queen Anne Style. However, this styles shows through mainly in the massing of the older portions of Eddy Hall to look as if they were part of a continuous Volume.
Memories and stories
University of Minnesota Engineering Records Department