Eaton-Myler House, 53 Irvine Park, Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
|Address:||53 Irvine Park|
|Neighborhood/s:||Irvine Park, Saint Paul, Minnesota, Uppertown, Saint Paul, Minnesota, West 7th, Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Ramsey County, Minnesota|
|Moved from Location:||Salvation Army on Forbes|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Brick|
|Material of Roof:||Asphalt Shingles|
|Material of Foundation:||Concrete|
The building is a two story, 2400 square foot, nine room, three bedroom, two and one-half bathroom, brick house, with a detached garage.
Alonzo Eaton was a master carpenter from New York state and married Margaret Glison (1822-1875), who came to St. Paul in 1852 as a family member in the household of Edward Duffield Neill. Margaret Glison was born in Pennsylvania. Alonzo Eaton was a partner with his brother, Benjamin Eaton (1811- ) in a carpentry business. When Margaret Eaton died in 1875, Alonzo Eaton moved to California.
James Myler and Catherine Myler purchased the house in 1882. The Mylers operated the Myler House/Waverley House/Kingsbury House hotel on Fort Road (190 West 7th Street). The upstairs was considered a four bedroom home. Molly Kennedy, a Myler daughter, sold the house to Nicholas Marrone and Emma Marrone, who owned the house from 1923 to 1979.
The Salvation Army purchased the house in 1979. In 1981, the house was moved to its current location. According to Jim Sazevich, St. Paul's "House Detective," when the Salvation Army decided to raze the house, he bought it for a nominal amount, and convinced his friend, Lance Belville, who was looking for an apartment in the area, to move it to its current site before it was destroyed.