Dayton's Bluff Walking Tour

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Dayton's Bluff Walking Tour

Map
Neighborhood/s: Dayton's Bluff, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States

Dayton's Bluff Saint Paul Ramsey

Minnesota

Dayton's Bluff Walking Tour
(44.95747965057,-93.06999206543warning.png"44.95747965057.-93.06999206543" is not a number. )

Dayton's Bluff was named after Lyman Dayton, a 19th century land speculator. Along with his investments in St. Paul and Minneapolis, Dayton purchased over 5,000 acres of land just east of the small settlement of St. Paul in 1849. The majority of this land was located on the bluff which now bears his name - Dayton's Bluff. Other places named after Lyman include Dayton Avenue in St. Paul and the town of Dayton, Minnesota. Maria Bates Dayton, Lyman's wife, is also remembered in the naming of such places as Maria Avenue, Bates Avenue, and the Bates Avenue Triangle Park, named in her memory by her son in 1910. The Lyman Dayton family is no relation to the Dayton family that started the Dayton Department stores.

Enjoy some of the sites in the Dayton's Bluff area by taking your own personal walking tour. Included are addresses and brief descriptions of some historic and nostalgic places.



Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

Workers from the breweries and the railroads settled in the area along with carpenters and masons, janitors, grocers, and teachers.

In 1911 Saint John’s German Lutheran Hospital opened. Today Metro State University occupies some of the older buildings and has expanded at the site with new buildings including its Great Hall and the new Dayton’s Bluff/Metro State Library.

Swede Hollow, a ravine, was home to waves of immigrants as they arrived from Sweden, Poland, Ireland, Italy, and Mexico. The Hollow had no city services, such as running water or sewers, making for very unsanitary and unsafe living conditions. Eventually, the city burned the last Swede Hollow houses in 1956. Swede Hollow was dedicated as a nature center in 1976.

Mindful of its rich history, Dayton’s Bluff set up its own historic district that extends from Mounds Boulevard and Hope Street to Swede Hollow Park to Interstate 94. With approximately 600 structures that range from the high-end real estate to workers’ cottages, it is the largest historic district in the city.

The Dayton’s Bluff community actively works to preserve its older housing stock, rather than demolishing it. In May and again in October the District 4 Dayton’s Bluff Community Council sponsored tours of the vacant homes in the neighborhood resulting in the sale of several of the homes.



    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]