Church of St. Columba, 1305 W. Lafond Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Church of St. Columba

Address: 1305 Lafond Avenue W
Neighborhood/s: Hamline-Midway, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1949
Primary Style: Art Deco/Art Moderne
Historic Function: Religious/Place of worship
Current Function: Religious/Place of worship
Architect or source of design: Barry Byrne

Hamline-Midway Saint Paul Ramsey County

Church of St. Columba, 1305 W. Lafond Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.9602096° N, 93.1552212° WLatitude: 44°57′36.755″N
Longitude: 93°9′18.796″W
)


This church is built on the site where the original St. Columba's was razed.

Some significant details include "asymmetrical curvilinear design. Round bell tower with long rectangular window. 6 doors at front entrance with stainless steel veneer. 1 side entrance has overhang with stainless steel veneer. East entrance is partially enclosed. 4 small punched out windows on main facade."

"St. Columba's is a major landmark of modern architecture in the Twin Cities and merits careful preservation."[1]

Contents

History

"St. Columba was organized in 1914 and a church was built on this site in 1915. That building was razed in 1948 to make way for the present church. The church was designed by Barry Byrne of Chicago, a student of Frank Lloyd Wright who was well known for his Catholic church designs."

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]