Chauncey and Martha Griggs Mansion, 476 Summit Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
Chauncey and Martha Griggs Mansion
|Address:||476 Summit Avenue|
|Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Ramsey County, Minnesota|
|Primary Style:||Richardsonian Romanesque|
|Major Alterations:||Some/mostly intact|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Architect or source of design:||Clarence Johnson|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Sandstone|
|First Owner:||Chauncey Griggs|
The Chauncey and Martha Griggs Mansion was built in 1885. It was one of the first buildings in Saint Paul to use Lake Superior sandstone. Griggs was in the lumber and coal business. After four years in Saint Paul, he relocated to the West Coast.
In 1939 the Mansion was donated to the St. Paul Gallery and School of Art by the Roger B. Shephard family. A large skylight was added to the roof.
In the 1960s Carl Weschke of Llewellyn publications, a publisher of occult books, owned the house.
The house is said to be the most haunted in St. Paul. Resident ghosts include a young maid who committed suicide in 1915, a gardner named Charles Wade, an officer in a Civil War uniform, a teenaged girl name Amy and several children.
In the 1960s several reporters from the Saint Paul Pioneer Press spent the night in the mansion. Their encounters with ghostly phenomenawere reported in the paper.
Memories and stories
- Prairie Ghosts
- Haunted Minnesota
- Ghost Stories Minnesota
- House of Spirits and Whispers
- Ghosts of Southeastern Minnesota
- Relax Its Only a Ghost - Adventures of Echo Bodine
- Ghosts Minnesota's Other Natural Resource