Minnesota Historical Society M-Flame Logo

Charles Thompson Memorial Hall, 1824 Marshall Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Charles Thompson Memorial Hall

Address: 1824 Marshall Avenue
Neighborhood/s: Merriam Park, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1916
Primary Style: Classical Revival
Historic Function: Clubhouse
Current Function: Clubhouse
Architect or source of design: Olof Hanson
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick

Merriam Park Saint Paul Ramsey County

Charles Thompson Memorial Hall, 1824 Marshall Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota
(44.948035° N, 93.177528° WLatitude: 44°56′52.926″N
Longitude: 93°10′39.101″W
)


This building was constructed in 1916 as a club house for the deaf and has continuously served as a social and cultural meeting house for the deaf community. The building cost approximately $30,000 to build and the construction costs and a trust fund were provided by Mrs. Charles Thompson, who named the building in memory of her deceased husband, who had been a local deaf financier. Charles P. Thompson was the son of Horace Thompson, a Vermont-born merchant who together with his brother James Thompson, established the precursor to the First National Bank of St. Paul (Now part of U.S. Bank). The architect of the building, Olof Hanson of Seattle, was deaf also.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Thompson Hall

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]