Charles H. Perry House, 3115 Clinton Avenue, Minneapolis, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
Charles H. Perry House
|Address:||3115 Clinton Avenue|
|Neighborhood/s:||Central, Minneapolis, Minnesota|
|Hennepin County, Minnesota|
|Primary Style:||American Four-Square|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Material of Roof:||Asphalt Shingles|
|Material of Foundation:||Limestone|
|First Owner:||Charles H. Perry|
Charles H. Perry first appears in Minneapolis City Directories in 1882 and in every entry is associated with the printing machinery and supply business under such entities as Perry, Winn, & Co.; Perry Bros.; JW Perry & Co.; NW Electrotyping Foundry; Printer's Electrotyping Co; and finally Printer's Supply Co. of which he owned in partnership with August G. Johnson, also a notable figure in the printing industry. Charles H. Perry is credited as having sold the first printing press in St. Paul. In 1897, Mr. Perry moved from his long time residence at 1806 5th Ave S (present site of 35W) to a residence at 3119 Clinton Ave - a newly developing area of South Minneapolis. Although nothing of 3119 Clinton remains, in 1906, Mr. Perry had a home constructed next door at 3115 Clinton in which he lived until 1929. This house at 3115 Clinton Avenue stands to this day. By the end of his career, Mr. Perry had relocated his printing supply business to 3024 4th Ave S - practically right around the corner from his residence. Mr. Perry also became one of the final surviving Civil War veterans in Minnesota and was a national officer in the Grand Old Army of the Republic, a Civil War veterans organization.
The Charles H. Perry House is typical of the American Foursquare architectural design. Although other movements in architecture were adapted from European designs, the American Foursquare, along with Prairie, Craftsman, and Mission are uniquely American styles. However, unlike the Craftsman, Prairie, and Mission schools of architecture, the source of the Foursquare is not known or attributable to any school of thought or notable architect. It is thought to have arisen from Midwestern pragmatism due to its efficient use of all available space. Each floor contains four rooms arranged in quadrants which eliminated the need for long hallways. The Charles H. Perry House is characteristic in its symmetry, hipped roof, front dormer, and front porch which spans the width of the front facade. The simple but handsome American Foursquare often incorporated various elements borrowed from styles of the period. The Charles H. Perry House demonstrates a Colonial Revival influence reflected in the classical form of the porch columns while the change in roof pitch nearing the eaves derives from the Asian influence on the emerging Craftsman movement of the time. The foyer of this house featured stained glass windows near the front entry as well as at the ocular staircase landing window. The scale, set back, exceptional wood work, and stained glass of the Charles H. Perry House is indicative of an owner of upper middle class status. Although many of these attributes of the house exist to this day, the Charles H. Perry House became swept up in the foreclosure crisis of 2008 and subsequently became vacant. In the spring of 2009 the stained glass and front entry hardware were stolen for their value as architectural antiques.