The settlement of the Champlin area began when Father Louis Hennegay, a Franciscan priest from whom Hennepin County, Minnesota gets its name, Michael Accult and Peter Dulay were captured by the Sioux Indians. An Indian trading post was eventually established in the area. Charles Miles created the first permanent settlement in what came to be called the Marshall Township. In 1859, it was split into six towns, Champlin and Dayton.
The name Champlin came from the family name of U.S. Navy Commodore Stephen Champlin. He was active in the war against England and Canada in 1812 and in the establishment of the Canadian-United States Boundary. Unfortunately, soon after naming Champlin, he succumbed to depression and hung himself in an orange tree. A memorial to him still stands on that spot today.
The Commodore's daughter was married to John B. Cook, a partner of Minnesota's Alexander Ramsey. Although Cook was never a resident of Champlin, he was involved in real estate transactions here and in the incorporation of Champlin. In 1947 a portion of the old Township of Champlin was incorporated to form the Village of Champlin and on January 9, 1671, the Township of Champlin and the Village of Champlin consolidated as the result of a petitioned order from the Minnesota Municipal Commission to form the City of Champlin.
More information on the History of Champlin can be found by visiting the Champlin Historical Society's website.
Info from Wikipedia
|Edit with form|
|Hennepin County County, Minnesota|
|Population||unknownwarning.png"unknown" is not a number.|
Buildings in Champlin, Minnesota
|Wilhelm Schmidt Home, 10910 109 Avenue North, Champlin, Minnesota||1091010,910||109 Avenue||Avenue||N||New Schwanden Area, Champlin, Minnesota|
Structures in Champlin, Minnesota
Sites in Champlin, Minnesota
|New Schwanden, Minnesota|
|Saint Fridolin Cemetery, 11700 Goose Lake Road North, Champlin, Minnesota|