Cane Springs Primitive Baptist Church, KY 977, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
Cane Springs Primitive Baptist Church
|Madison County, Kentucky|
|Historic Function:||Religious/Place of worship|
|Other Historic Function:||Church|
|Current Function:||Religious/Place of worship|
|Other Current Function:||Church|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Brick|
|Material of Foundation:||Stone|
|National Register of Historic Places Information|
This Baptist church is one of the oldest existing houses of worship in Madison County. Organized on Muddy Creek in August 1803, the congregation was originally known as the Baptist Church of Christ. Elder David Chenault (1771-1831), a prosperous farmer on whose land the church was located, served as minister until 1830 when he began pastorial duties at White Oak Pond Christian Church.
Today, the exterior of the church building appears almost the same as it did when constructed in 1812. Part of its architectural significance is derived from the identifying feature of double entrance doors. Placed near the sides of the gable-end front, these doors are surrounded by jack arches. The white box cornice under the eaves contrasts with the red brick walls, having headers exposed every seventh course.Inside remain the original oak pews, altar furniture, and a pulpit. The pulpit was formerly near the front entrance and was later relocated near the rear. Outside, the spring after which the church was named still flows.