Cambridge State Hospital, Cambridge, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Cambridge State Hospital

A building at Cambridge State Hospital
Cottage 2, Originally housed 72 female residents
Address: 1235 293 Highway S
City/locality-
State/province
Cambridge, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Isanti County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year Established: 1925
Historic Function: State Hospital

Cambridge Isanti County

The first cottage of the Minnesota Colony for Epileptics at Cambridge was opened on June 1st, 1925. The first patients were transferred from the Minnesota School for the Feeble Minded and Colony for Epileptics at Faribault. The colony at Cambridge was operated as part of the Faribault institution until August, 1927, when the main building opened at Cambridge. Thereafter the epileptic colony at Faribault was closed, and the Cambridge colony was operated independently. The Lake Owasso Children’s Home was leased from Ramsey County by the Department of Public Welfare in 1955 and operated as an annex of the Cambridge Hospital until 1976 (Laws 1955 c530). The colony was operated under the administration of a superintendent, assistant superintendent (from 1939 on), and steward. A full time physician joined the staff in 1927, and a principal was hired in 1941 to administer the colony’s education program. In 1965 the superintendent’s position was abolished and superseded by a medical director and administrator. Populations increased greatly in the 1950s and by the early 1960s the highest populations of 2,008 (approximately 12% of the total populations of residents of the state hospital system) was reached. During this era, state wide efforts were made to “humanize” living conditions in institutions as well as start rehabilitation treatments which lead to a decline in the population at Cambridge State Hospital. A lawsuit in 1972 was filed against six state hospital, including Cambride State Hopsital, for improper care, treatment, conditions and training “did not meet constitutional standards.” The lawsuit formed strict restrictions on the strurcture of the state hospital system, patient rights, and staff to resident ratios. The populations of Cambridge State hospital decreased by fifty precent before the lawsuit was finally settled in 1987.

The Minnesota Colony for Epileptics at Cambridge was organized with the cottage plan. Many of the buildings were plain red brick and flat-rooted. Some Colonial Revival elements and details were used for decoration, similar to the Minnesota Correctional Institute for Women in Shakopee.

Contents


Site History

This institution has been operated under various names. Established as the Colony for Epileptics in 1925, its name was changed to the Cambridge State School and Hospital in 1949 (Laws 1949 c142) and to the Cambridge State Hospital in 1967 (Laws 1967 c6). In 1985 the name was changed to Cambridge Regional Human Services Center (Executive Order No. 85-17).


Superseded by

Of the original buildings, serveral still stand today. Both Dellwood North and South are still used by other organizations, the Infirmary and Auditorium/Warehouse are used by M.E.T.O (Minnesota Extended Treatment Options Program), Cottage 11 “Oakview” has been renovated and is now used for office and overflow jail space, and the power plant has had the smokestack removed and is still standing. The rest of the land formerly occupied by the state hospital campus may be used for housing and a public park.

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Photographs and additional information about Cambridge State Hospital

Notes

  • Minnesota Historical Society Angecy History Archieves
  • The Public Buildings of the State of Minnesota : an Architectural Heritage -Patricia Murphy (for the State Historic Preservation Office of the Minnesota Historical Society)
    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]