Benjamin and Cora Franklin House, 2405 West 22nd Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
Benjamin and Cora Franklin House
|Address:||2405 22nd Street W|
|Neighborhood/s:||Kenwood, Minneapolis, Minnesota|
|Hennepin County, Minnesota|
|Primary Style:||Prairie School|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Architect or source of design:||[[Source of design::Col House by Wolfe and Wolfe Architects / Mulfinger, Susanka, Mahady Architects (now SALA Architects)]]|
|Builder:||Albinson Construction Company|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Stucco|
|Material of Foundation:||Stucco|
|First Owner:||Zachariah G. and Mahalia Savelund|
This home appears to be based on the design for the Peter Col House located at 1163 Martin Avenue in San Jose, California. That home, built in 1913, was designed by Frank D. Wolfe and his son Carl Wolfe. The Franklin house is a bit larger and has a different plan. The Col House was probably known to the designer of the Franklin House when it was published locally in the May 1914 issue of The Western Architect.
The Franklin House was actually built by Zachariah G. and Mahalia Saveland. They owned the home for about a year but don't appear to have lived in the home during that time. Since both Mr. Saveland and Peter Col were grocers, it is possible that there was a connection that made the Col design known to Mr. Franklin. However, there is no specific evidence of a connection between the two men and The Western Architect was most likely the source for the basic design. Benjamin and Cory Franklin purchased the home in 1916 and lived there until 1923. Mr. Franklin, who was a certified public accountant, was manager of the Minneapolis office of Marwick, Mitchell, Peat and Co.The home is locally designated.
Built two years after the Peter Col House in California, the differences in the Franklin House are subtle. The street facades appear nearly identical but the Franklin House incorporates a band of four art glass windows while the Col House has six. While the Franklin House is approximately the same width as the Col House, the Franklin House isn't as deep and is approximately 225 square feet smaller on the main level. The arrangement of rooms is very similar but there are a number of differences in the actual configuration of the rooms. The property originally included an 18 foot by 18 foot garage that was razed at some point.
The Home was owned by Patrick J. and Celia Kelly from 1923 to 1945. A fire in November 1940 did extensive damage to the home and an original large fireplace surround in the living room was not rebuilt during the reconstruction.
Gerald R. and Amy B. Stark owned the home from 1945 to 1948. They were followed by William P. Jr. and Agnes B. Sadler from 1948 to 1962 and Lawrence E. and Marian J. Paulson from 1962 to 1993. It was probably during the Paulson's ownership the that kitchen was modernized. The butler's pantry was incorporated into the kitchen and new non-compatible cabinets and counter tops were installed.
The home was purchased by Paul and Christine McDonald in 1993. The McDonalds undertook an exterior restoration of the home, which included rebuilding the entrance veranda, removal of a non-original metal porch enclosure and the rebuilding of sagging eaves.
The interior was also brought back to a more period look, although no historic photos of the interior are known except showing damage after the fire. The McDonalds also remodeled the kitchen by removing a secondary basement stairway and incorporating new and salvaged cabinets to create a kitchen more compatible with the rest of the home. The kitchen was designed by Joseph G. Metzler of Mulfinger, Susanka, Mahady Architects (now SALA Architects).
The home won a Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Award in 1995. It was also featured in the January 6, 1996 issue of Star Tribune Homes in the article "living with History".