Beckham, McCreary, and Miller Halls, Eastern Kentucky University, 521 Lancaster Avenue, Richmond, Kentucky
|Edit with form|
|Madison County, Kentucky|
The Classical Revival style, so apparent in other campus buildings designed by Weber, is also evident in these three-story brick residence halls. A two-story portico supported by slender wooden pillars frames the pedimental pavilion front. A latticed balustrade along the edge of the portico’s flat roof repeats the pattern of the entrance railing. A large scrolled pediment above the main entrance is supported by fluted pilasters. A denticulated cornice and brick belt course span the width of the pedimented facade, while quoins at the corners provide a vertical counterbalance. Miller Hall, on the east, contains an elaborate bell tower above an arched passageway.
These three connected halls form a U-shaped complex. Designed by the Weber architectural firm as a men’s dormitory complex, they were constructed in 1938 by the Works Progress Administration (WPA). Each hall was named in honor of a political leader who had promoted the establishment of Eastern Kentucky State Normal School at Richmond.