Arthur E. Holbrook House, 3124 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Arthur E. Holbrook House

Arthur E. Holbrook House
Address: 3124 3rd Avenue S
Neighborhood/s: Central, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1898
Primary Style: Colonial Revival
Secondary Style: Queen Anne
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: T.P. Healy
Builder: T.P. Healy
First Owner: Arthur E. Holbrook

Central Minneapolis Hennepin

Arthur E. Holbrook House, 3124 3rd Avenue South, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.945765,-93.273206warning.png"44.945765.-93.273206" is not a number. )
National Register of Historic Places Information
Reference Number: 93000417


During the 1880s Theron Healy specialized in the Queen Anne Style. After 1893 Healy shifted from the Queen Anne to simpler, more symmetrical Colonial Revival inspired designs.

The Holbrook House illustrates this shift. By the late 1890s Healy was working primarily as a contractor, not a designer.

An example of the transitional phase of Healy’s work, this house was the last house Healy built on the block. The house combines Queen Anne and Colonial Revival features and has ornate stained glass.

The 2 ½ story structure has a hipped roof, Palladian dormer window, and an intact flat roofed front porch with fluted columns and turned balusters. On the main façade there is a two story projecting bay.

The northern façade features two oriel windows. There is a bay window topped by a projecting gable end on the southern façade. The house has been clad in asbestos siding. The building permit lists Healy as the original owner and the estimated construction cost as $4,000.

Arthur B. Holbrook moved into the house after it was completed. Holbrook was president of the Glenwood Inglewood Company, a bottled spring water operation that is still in business.

At the back of the lot is a very small, intact one story gable roofed garage built about 1915 which is included in the historic district.

The district contains five other circa 1915-1925 garages, all of which are basically intact, located on the back of lots for houses, at 3101 2nd Ave So, 3112 2nd Ave So, 3119 2nd Ave so, 3129 2nd Ave So, and 3120 3rd Ave So.[1]

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Coololdbuildingsmn Theron Healy

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]