996 Iglehart Avenue, St. Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form
Address: 996 Iglehart Avenue
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1899
Primary Style: Vernacular
Major Alterations: Some/mostly intact
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Weatherboard
Material of Roof: Asphalt Shingles
Material of Foundation: Limestone

Saint Paul Ramsey

996 Iglehart Avenue, St. Paul, Minnesota
(44.949299° N, 93.1423375° WLatitude: 44°56′57.476″N
Longitude: 93°8′32.415″W
)


The S. Edward Hall house has an important place in St. Paul's African American history. Hall was a businessman, activist, and community leader; he was also very involved in Minnesota politics and was four times Presidential Elector for the Republican Party.

Contents

History

Stephen Edward Hall moved from Springfield, Illinois, to St. Paul, Minnesota in 1900. Hall's brother Orrie C. Hall was already living in St. Paul and in 1906 they established a six chair barbershop in the downtown Pittsburg building (on the corner of 5th and Wabasha). The Hall Brothers barbershop remained in this location until 1947 when S. Edward Hall relocated to a new building on the southwest corner of Selby Avenue and Victoria Street. Among Hall's clients were many prominent businessman and politicians of the day.

Hall's Barbershop was an incrediblt significant site for African Americans in St Paul. Not only did Hall use his opportunities and networks to help address the employment needs of the Black community, but he was incredibly pro-active in issues surrounding human, economic and civil rights.[1] For example, Hall played a central role in the establishment of St. Paul's Urban League branch – a multi-racial organization set up to nurture and improve race relations, promote and inform African Americans of available social services, advocate for quality housing, education and healthcare, and monitor discrimination. Hall also was involved in the development of the Union Hall (now demolished) and Hallie Q. Brown Center, was a trustee for the Pilgrim Baptist Church, and a member of the St. Paul chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). His further contribution to African American business included his role as Executive Secretay of the Master Barber's Association, and membership of the National Negro Business League.

As early as 1908 a weekly newsletter was started with the assistance of St. James A. M. E Church. The publication was called the Bulletin but this later changed to the Helper. The church newsletter mainly contained information about the church’s social and spiritual activities; however, it also had a section where it published job openings for both skilled and unskilled work. Stephen Edward Hall was the overseer of the Helper's employment services and promoted available jobs within his Barbershop. Many jobseekers would visit Hall's Barbershop to gain a referral from Hall and Whitney Young – a former National President of the National Urban League from Saint Paul - noted that "it was many years before employers in St Paul ceased to use the Hall Barbershop for job referrals."[1]

Building Description

S. Edward Hall lived at the two story timber house on Iglehart Avenue from approximately 1906 to 1940. The L-shaped vernacular house was constructed in 1899 and the original limestone foundation is now covered with concrete. The gabled roof is covered with asphalt tiles. The main façade includes a single story porch with a flat roof and the east section consists of the central entrance which is now enclosed for three season use.

Memories and stories

Badges

65}px This place is part of the
Discover Black Minnesota: Saint Paul Tour

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]