7 Heather Place, St. Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Goodkind Double House

Address: 7 Heather Place
Neighborhood/s: Ramsey Hill/Crocus Hill, St. Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
St. Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1910
Primary Style: Tudor Revival
Additions: Original walk out basement converted from storage to recreation room- 2004; greenhouse added circa 1950; bomb shelter added circa 1955
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: Reed & Stem- Designed Grand Central Station in NYC
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Stone
Material of Roof: Wood Shingle
Material of Foundation: Stone
First Owner: B. L. Goodkind

Ramsey Hill/Crocus Hill St. Paul Ramsey

7 Heather Place, St. Paul, Minnesota
(44.938974° N, 93.122029° WLatitude: 44°56′20.306″N
Longitude: 93°7′19.304″W
)


7 Heather Place (Former 7 Floral Street:) B. L. Goodkind House; Built in 1910; Tudor Revival/Cotswold Cottage in style; Reed & Stem, architects, and John Lassila, renovation interior designer of current owners Clayton Halunen and David Duddingston. The structure is a three story, approx. 10,000 square foot, nine bedroom, six bathroom, 5 fireplace, stucco and timber house, with a detached three stall carriage house with living quarters. The structure is attached to the house at 5 Heather Place at the hip roof by way of a second-story enclosed walkway. The house shares with 5 Heather Place a circular driveway, a central courtyard and a fountain, with a property line that runs through the center of the fountain and the skyway. Brothers William Goodkind (residing at 5 Heather Place) and Benjamin Goodkind (residing at 7 Heather Place) built the homes and included a "passover"- a second level corridor connecting the two homes. The Goodkind brothers owned a dry goods store in St. Paul called Mannheimer Bros. and later acquired by Dayton's. Benjamin was the President of the company and William was the Secretary/Treasurer. The Goodkinds lived in the homes for only 10 years until the passing of Benjamin Goodkind in 1919. From 1919 to 1948 Paul Meyers and Reine Humbird Myers resided in the home. In 1915, Paul N. Myers, with Michael W. Waldorf (1869-1928,) created the Waldorf Paper Products Company in a merger of three separate cooperating companies, The American Paper Stock Company, suppliers of raw material, the Waldorf Box Board Company, manufacturers of paperboard, and the H. L. Collins Company, converters of cartons and containers.

The home was purchased in 1948 by Mr. and Mrs. Thomas L. Daniels. Daniels was the President of the Archer Daniels Midland company and former United States diplomat. The Daniels split their time between their summer home on Gem Lake and St. Paul. They sold the house in 1977.

Records show that Duane and Martha Hubbs owned the property from 1988 to 2004. It was rumored that the Hubbs intended to turn the home into a condominium but that plan was rejected by the city.

In 2004 the home was purchased by Clayton Halunen and David Duddingston. Halunen is the founder and managing partner of Halunen & Associates- a national employment law and consumer class action law firm. Duddingston is the owner of National Account Services, The company purchases debt for collections. The home was in considerable disrepair and required extensive repairs and updating. John Lassila, a prominent Twin Cities interior designer, completely updated the home's interiors. In 2006 a pool was added to the back yard and extensive landscaping was completed in an attempt to return the extensive grounds to their original grandeur.

The house is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]