3001 East 24th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form
3001 East 24th Street, with, from left to right, Albertina Ahlberg (wife of owner Andrew G. Ahlberg), Lilly Ahlberg [?], Martin Ahlberg [?], and an unknown couple. The photo was taken sometime between 1897 and the spring of 1903.
3001 East 24th Street in July, 1985, with a view southward along 30th Avenue South.
Address: 3001 24th Street E
Neighborhood/s: Seward, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1889
Additions: Rooms were added to both floors at the rear of the house in 1903.
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: Published plan book
Builder: Eben Kneeland
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Stucco
Material of Foundation: Concrete
Building Permit Number: B20103
First Owner: Mae E. Squyer, an investor

Seward Minneapolis Hennepin County


The house, located in the East Seward Neighborhood, has the Property Identification Number for taxation purposes of 36-029-24-14-0028. The piece of land on which it sits is known officially as the “West 35 feet of lots 23 and 24”, with an approximate size of 35.00 by 96.20 feet. On a larger scale within Minneapolis, the property can be described as being on Block 1 of Morrison and Lovejoy’s Addition to Minneapolis, a subdivision which was created by an act of the City Council, filed on February 17, 1881. And on an even larger scale, that of the State of Minnesota, it is situated on Parcel 1290 of Plat 20170. The house is a plain, two-story, wood-frame structure with attic and basement. The builder’s intention was probably for the dwelling to house a single family. Yet for nearly all its life it has contained two separate lodgings, one on each floor. On the property tax roll today it is shown as a “residential-two unit”. The house came unscathed through the Seward East urban renewal upheaval of the 1960s. The same person has owned and occupied an apartment in the place since 1998 (this as of 2012). The property value figures are interesting: On August 17, 1891, a John P. Myers invested $1600 in the property at 3001 East 24th Street. 107 years later, on October 14, 1998, a new owner paid ninety-six times more for it, $154,300. (In the five years between July 27, 1993, when one couple bought the house from another, and October 14, 1998, when these new owners sold, the cost of the property increased by about 50 percent, from $102,000 to $154,300.)

Source: Our Old House - The story of a dwelling in the East Seward Neighborhood of Minneapolis, Minnesota, and of the people who called it home, by Linda Reverchon (2012).

Contents

History

On August 28, 1889, Type B (for construction outside the Fire Zone) building permit 20103 was issued to E. Kneeland to erect a two story wood dwelling with six rooms at 3001 East 24th Street. The construction was to be completed by November 1, 1889, at an estimated cost of $1200. This is the first record of construction on this property. The most important change ever to be made to the house was that of 1903 when rooms were added to the south end of the structure on both levels and the attic was enlarged. Type B building permit 54033 was issued on March 5th of that year to Andrew J. [sic] Ahlberg as contractor for ”General Repairs”. After “Builders” was marked “Day Labor”. Estimated cost: $100. This is, in all evidence, the permit taken out for the renovations which enlarged the house. Already in 1905 the City Directory shows two families at this address, and on a plumbing permit issued on October 4, 1906, the building type indicated is “duplex”. The story in the family is that it was some “shirttail” relative who did the work. Over the decades permits were issued for much work on the house: Plumbing, electrical, new roof (twice), new furnace, new garage, and so on. Fences around the lot have gone up, come down, and gone back up again. Trees have been planted and replaced.

Memories and stories

Memory

As houses go, the one at this address is nothing special. Nobody famous ever slept there, and it cannot be called ancient. Built in 1889 in a working-class neighborhood, it is not even particularly attractive. Despite its lack of singularity, the house at 3001 East 24th Street held a special place in our family for close to sixty-five years. From the time in around 1898 when Andrew G. and Albertina Ahlberg moved into the house as renters, until about 1962 when their youngest granddaughter, Marjorie (Hill) Rogers and her husband Russ and children moved out, this was our family home, our old homestead, our anchor. - Linda Reverchon

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]