2904 East 26th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota (Razed)

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

J. E. Johnson Store, razed ca 1903

Johnson flower gardens ca 1930, showing former location of candy store.
Address: 2904 26th Street E
Neighborhood/s: Seward, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: ca 1896-1900
Year razed: ca 1903
Primary Style: Commercial
Historic Function: Business
Historic Function: Store, Dwelling
Builder: Jacob E. Johnson
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
First Owner: Jacob E. Johnson

Seward Minneapolis Hennepin County

2904 East 26th Street, Minneapolis, Minnesota (Razed)
(44.955581° N, 93.2294929° WLatitude: 44°57′20.092″N
Longitude: 93°13′46.174″W
)


According to oral history (1982), Swedish immigrant and master mason Jakob Emanuel Johannesson (Jacob E. Johnson) injured himself in a fall while working on the construction of Minneapolis City Hall. This forced him to find another occupation, so his grandchildren said he built a 'candy store' at 2904 East 26th Street.

The store (constructed of wood) was built between 1896 and 1900 when the structure is first listed in the census. By July 1903 Jacob E. Johnson completed construction of a brick storefront at the corner of 29th Avenue South and East 26th Street, the lot next to the 'candy store.' (See J.E. & R.E. Johnson Grocery.)

By 1905 the 'candy store' was razed. A photograph from the 1930s shows beautiful flower gardens on the lot, and at present you can still see stone remnants of a semi-circle fish pond with a small waterfall next to the brick building. Today the lot continues to be used as a side yard and garden area for the brick storefront.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]