1653 Sherburne Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
|Address:||1653 Sherburne Avenue W|
|Neighborhood/s:||Hamiline-Midway, Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Saint Paul, Minnesota|
|Ramsey County, Minnesota|
|Primary Style:||American Four-Square|
|Additions:|| 1906 main house was added to the property.
2006 1-1/2 car garage was added.
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Builder:||Catherine & Angus McKinnon, Carpenter|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Vinyl|
|Material of Roof:||Asphalt Shingles|
|Material of Foundation:||Concrete|
|First Owner:||Catherine & Angus McKinnon|
Information provided by MNHS 1904, Catherine originally lived at 1665 Sherburne. She met Angus McKinnon, a professional carpenter. Angus lived "across" town in the Selby & Western neighborhood. 1906: The McKinnons pulled a building permit, for 4-room addition. 1924 a permit was pulled for a $200.00 addition to the property.
Spring of 1999 the house was a vacant building. It was purchased and renovated. David & Marni Oberpriller have lived at 1653 Sherburne since June 1999.
In 2005, while taking down a encroaching tree, we lost the apple tree from our yard. Neighbors have told us the tree was the last from an orchard.
In 2006, we looked into adding a second level expansion above the kitchen/bath/mudroom. In the process, it was discovered that this area at the back of the house wasn't an addition. Looking closely at the foundation, we discovered it was the original East-facing 20' x 24' structure, and not the previously assumed addition.
A 1-1/2 car, redwood tongue and groove garage was purchased and moved to the property in 2006. The garage was originally located in the Highland neighborhood of Saint Paul.