164 Island Avenue East, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Albert H. and Louise Lindeke House

Address: 164 Island Avenue E
Neighborhood/s: Northeast, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Nicollet Island, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Saint Anthony Falls Historic District, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1900
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex

Northeast, Nicollet Island, Saint Anthony Falls Historic District Minneapolis Hennepin

164 Island Avenue East, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.990122° N, 93.263911° WLatitude: 44°59′24.439″N
Longitude: 93°15′50.08″W
)


Contents

History

Built in 1900. The structure is a 2 1/2 story, 3561 square foot, 12 room, six bedroom, six bathroom, triplex.

The 1909 city directory indicates that Marie Suiter, the widow of John Suiter, resided at this address. The 1930 city directory indicates that Thomas F. Murphy and Hozey Tomberlien resided at this address.

This property is one of many on Nicollet Island that are owned by the Minneapolis Park And Recreation Board and leased to homeowners with 99 year leases. In 1979, the Metropolitan Council began giving the Minneapolis Park And Recreation Board money to buy large chunks of Nicollet Island and in return, the Park Board agreed the land would remain open space. In 1983, the Park Board and the Minneapolis Community Development Agency (MCDA) cut a complex deal balancing competing interests: park lovers, history buffs, island residents and DeLaSalle High School, giving some residents a 99-year lease to rehab historic homes that were located on parkland.

The Park Board was required to "make its best efforts" to build an "outdoor neighborhood recreational and athletic facility" on parkland near DeLaSalle - in apparent contradiction to the 1979 open space agreement. In 1955, when the city began cleaning up "Skid Row" and dislocating down-and-out residents, some went to the next-cheapest spot, which was Nicollet Island.

Residents, including Doris Parks and her donkey Sheba, coexisted with many commercial and industrial companies such as Minneapolis Cold Storage, Twin City Tile and Marble, and a truck leasing firm. In 1974, consultants Miller Dunwiddy evaluated Nicollet Island's homes, part of the St. Anthony Historic District, and concluded that Nicollet Island was the best collection of preserved unruined Victorian houses anywhere in the city.

In 1983, the MCDA sold the deteriorated north-end homes on the island to private owners for $1, via a lottery system, and required the owners to renovate the houses to historic standards. Marie Linden Suiter ( -1916) died in Goodhue County, Minnesota. Doris Parks (1910-1971) was born outside of Minnesota, had a mother with a maiden name of Bowers, and died in Hennepin County.[1]

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Badges

65}px This place is part of the
Saint Anthony Falls Historic District




Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]