1536 West Minnehaha Avenue, Saint Paul, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

Knox Presbyterian Church

Address: 1536 W. Minnehaha Avenue
Neighborhood/s: Hamline-Midway, Saint Paul, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Saint Paul, Minnesota
County-
State/province:
Ramsey County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
Country: United States
Year built: 1912-1914
Primary Style: Other
Additions: Additions at west and on back wall (new wing dedicated in April, 1957 and designed by James Brunet, constructed by Lang and Raughland).
Major Alterations: Some/mostly intact
Historic Function: Religious/Place of worship
Current Function: Religious/Place of worship
Architect or source of design: William L. Alban and Charles Hausler
Builder: Sandberg and Swanson (1661 Van Buren)
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Brick
Material of Roof: None Listed
Material of Foundation: None Listed
Building Permit Number: 62970
Notes: Flat roof, rectangular building with projecting corner entrance piers, brick parapet wall which steps up at ends and at center of roofline and is adorned with cement or stone coping and geometric panels, and is crowned by a cross at the center of the roofline. Below parapet is a wide, simple, pressed metal entablature that projects over the thin rectangular third story windows. Below third story windows is a cement or stone belt course. On recessed central portion of the story windows is a cement or stone belt course.

Hamline-Midway Saint Paul Ramsey


The Knox Presbyterian church is first listed in the city directory in 1891. From 1891-1899 the church was located on Hubbard (Wesley) Avenue. From 1900-1902 the church was located at the northeast corner of Asbury and Minnehaha. The congregation moved to its present site in 1903. The present church was dedicated in December, 1914, and the new wing was dedicated in April, 1957. The 1914 building cost $27,000 to construct. The Knox Presbyterian Church is architecturally significant as perhaps the finest of few Prairie influenced church buildings constructed in St. Paul. The architects of the building also designed the St. Anthony Park Methodist Church which is much more conventional in form and massing. The Knox Presbyterian Church is a much more imaginative structure, and was probably one of the most stylistically advanced churches constructed in St. Paul prior to World War 1, and was erected at a time when many congregations and architects were still selecting the late Gothic Revival style.

Contents


Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]