1425 Dupont Avenue North, Minneapolis, Minnesota

From Placeography

Jump to: navigation, search
Edit with form

1425 Dupont Avenue North

1425 Dupont Ave N.ca 1918
1425 Dupont Sketch from Old Highland Walking Tour Guide
Address: 1425 Dupont Avenue N
Neighborhood/s: Old Highland, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Near North, Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
State/province
Minneapolis, Minnesota
City/locality-
Province
Minneapolis, MN
County-
State/province:
Hennepin County, Minnesota
State/province: Minnesota
State/province: MN
Country: United States
Year built: 1890
Primary Style: Queen Anne
Secondary Style: Victorian
Major Alterations: Intact
Historic Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Historic Function: Boarding house
Other Historic Function: Boarding house
Current Function: House/single dwelling or duplex
Architect or source of design: Theron P Healy
Builder: Theron P Healy
Material of Exterior Wall Covering: Wood
Material of Roof: Asphalt Shingles
Material of Foundation: Limestone
Building Permit Number: B22279
First Owner: Frederick Stevens

Old Highland, Near North Minneapolis Hennepin County

1425 Dupont Avenue North, Minneapolis, Minnesota
(44.993997° N, 93.293005° WLatitude: 44°59′38.389″N
Longitude: 93°17′34.818″W
)


Property Description: Queen Anne; 2.5 stories; asymmetrical, cross-gabled, structure; dominant, one-story, wrap around porch (east and south façade) with turned spindles; second-story open turret on southeast façade blends into house by a continuous roof line; projecting bay on second floor of east façade features intricate detailing and opening for a picture window; opening encircled by transom light and curved side lights; frieze encircles majority of second floor, and is decorated with dramatic square, carved relief, dentil-like; this same relief pattern is seen over windows on all facades of house, most prominently on east façade picture window surround


North façade features prominent, two-storied, curved bay capped by a recessed porch; flanking bay on east is a bracketed oriel window capped by pediment; pediment is decorated, entablatured, with turned spindle columns, and a transomed window

Contents

History

"The Frederick Stevens home is a large, elaborate example of the Queen Anne style popular in an extravagant, historic period, built for a northside resident and sawmill owner by a building contractor whose long Minneapolis career extended into the twentieth century. It is located in an area with several houses from the same period, lending a historic ambiance to the streetscape. And it is being restored by the present owners.

Elaborate and copiously ornamented, this structure exhibits six gables, a tower, five porches on three levels, four window treatments (sash, circular, transomed, pedimented), a bay roof in the Moorish style, and spindle work. Not extant are ornamental porch supports and balustrades, ornate porch and tower brackets, wood shingle roofing, the original decorative underporch latticework, and the patterned brick chimney.

Owner Frederick S. Stevens owned a sawmill located on the river at Plymouth Avenue. Apparently he had Joel B. Stanchfield, probably a mill employee, build a storage barn on the property in question in 1884. Stanchfield was a long-time Minneapolis, listed as a clerk in the 1859 St. Anthony and Minneapolis directory. He appears also to have resided with Stevens both before and (at 2946 Humboldt Avenue North) and after construction of the new house in 1890.

Dupont and Fourteenth Avenues North was on the edge of residential construction in 1890. Though across the street from the attractive Young House, the 1400 block was still largely vacant as was the area west to Humboldt. In a city flourishing with prosperity from a mature lumber industry, a member of that industry himself, F. Stevens, chose a well-regarded building contractor to design his conspicuous residence. Theron P. Healy is listed on the city’s building permit as the architect and listed in the City Directory as a building contractor.

By 1920 the Frederick S. Stevens House had been converted to a duplex, and to an eight-unit dwelling in 1960. The barn was converted to a six-vehicle garage in 1910 and torn down in 1962."1


1. Neet, Fred. Local Heritage Preservation Designation Study: Frederick Stevens House. Rep. Minneapolis: Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission, 1986. Print.

Memories and stories

Photo Gallery

Related Links

[1] Historical Building Permit for 1425 - 1427 Dupont Avenue North

Residents' Thoughts

In your opinion, where is the most interesting place in Old Highland? Why?

If you could tell someone moving here one thing about this community, what would you tell them?

Why do you think this is a good place for young people?


Notes

    Personal tools
    Contribute
    [http://discussions.mnhs.org/HP/oneonone.cfm snubnosed]