1406 West 66th Street, Richfield, Minnesota
|Edit with form|
|Address:||1406 66th Street W|
|Hennepin County, Minnesota|
|Year built:||ca: 1876|
|Primary Style:||Greek Revival|
|Historic Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Current Function:||House/single dwelling or duplex|
|Material of Exterior Wall Covering:||Stucco|
|Material of Roof:||Asphalt Shingles|
|Notes:||Still has out building (small barn) in back of it.|
In 1873, Louis Leonidas Humphrey purchased this land.
Mr. Humphrey was born in Ohio in 1835. His father was a farmer there, but in the spring of 1855 brought his family to Minnesota. In the summer of 1856, Louis taught school in Rice County. He married a schoolteacher, Sarah Henkins, in the year 1859.
In 1873, Mr. Humphrey sold his land, came to Richfield and bought 100 acres of fine farming land there. The residence and surrounding buildings are of good construction and design. Mr. Humphrey was a Republican but independent in "social matters". He was a man of high personal character and was honored by his neighbors with office of trust. He served as Richfield Justice of Peace from 1876 to 1878 and as Town Clerk from 1879 to 1889. During the Civil War, he served in Company D, Eleventh Regiment of Minnesota Volunteer Infantry. Mr. and Mrs. Humphrey had one daughter, Helen, born May 27, 1866.
Toward the end of the 1890s Parker J. Goodspeed who did truck farming there purchased the homestead. Mr. Goodspeed served on the Richfield Town Board during the year 1898 and joined his neighbors to petition for village incorporation in 1907. He and his wife Mary lived in this spacious old home for many years. Mr. Goodspeed died in 1956, Mary died in 1965. Both are buried in Oak Hill Cemetery.